Resolves for the New Year
Happy 2010! Did you see the blue moon last night? It was too cloudy here. And I wanted so badly to sing Blue Moon while gazing at the heavens and welcoming in a new year (and scaring the neighbors back inside).
The new year is all about making and breaking resolutions, isn’t it? We even joke about how long it will take us to break our well-thought-out resolutions. Well, not this year, buddy. I have a few things I’m resolving to accomplish in 2010 and I’m gonna make ’em happen.
Now, before I begin, I must admit something. I’m not usually one to get all excitable and spastic about a new year. Honestly, as far as I’m concerned, today is just another day on a calendar, no big deal. But psychologically it is a chance to reflect on the past and plan for the future. And goals are good, aren’t they? So what better time to set a few new goals than at the start of a new year. I have a whole year ahead of me and if I’m blessed to make it the whole year (hey, anything can happen to any of us, am I right?) I want to make it count.
So here goes. In 2010 I resolve to (in no particular order of importance):
- Be more consistent as a husband and father (Vague, I know, but I know what I mean).
- Write a story (Darkness Follows) that is so compelling I can’t wait to read it myself (Self-aggrandizing? Maybe, but I’m an artiste, I’m allowed to aggrandize myself from time to time).
- Run in four 5Ks and beat my personal record each time (A lofty goal for sure, but I’m a competitive person).
- Take my family on vacation to Maine (We haven’t been on a real family vacation since B.C (before cancer) and I want to experience the coast of Maine again . . . I need the coast of Maine).
- Be more consistent in my Bible time (Again, vague, but again, I know what I mean).
- Get one of my books on the Glenn Beck show (Okay, I threw that in there because it sounded cool. Not seriously).
So there they are, my resolves. Now, the final one: I resolve to keep my resolves. Full proof, hah!