Inspiration Interrupted

I think while I’m working on my next book, Darkness Follows, and trying to make some time to prepare promotions/marketing for my soon-to-release book, Darlington Woods, most of my posts will have to do with that.

I get a lot of questions about the writing process, how it goes, how it happens, how long things take, how a story develops, frustrations I experience, and so on and so on. This will be a good arrangement for addressing some of those issues.

The large majority of my writing time comes in the morning. I have a schedule I stick to pretty tightly. My alarm goes off at 4:58 am. I hit the snooze button once, nine minutes later the alarm sounds again. Jen elbows me. I hit the snooze again. Nine minues later same thing. It’s now 5:16 so I throw back the covers and drag myself out of bed. I hear the dog’s nails clicking on the hardwood floor downstairs. She’s heard me stirring and is getting excited about her morning potty run.

Five minutes later I’m turning the computer on while donning my coat. I take Josie, our black Lab, outside, tell her to hurry up because it’s cold and I’m getting snow in slippers, then hurry her back inside, coaxing her with the promise of food. After feeding Josie her breakfast I get my own, usually a granola bar and glass of “Green Goodness” which tastes like sweetened grass . . . but it’s oh so good for me.

For the next twenty or so minutes I check and answer email and get my schedule for the work day ready to roll.

By now it’s usually between 5:45 and 6:00 and I’m finally ready to write. There’s no sitting and staring at the screen. I know where I want to go because I’ve been thinking about the next scene and how it’s going to play out. The writing comes naturally, it flows, the words, the sentences, the thoughts, the dialogue. Only a few times do I have to stop and think about how I want to say something or what the next thought will contain. I’m in the groove, like a bobsledder (or “slider”), executing his or her run almost perfectly.

While writing I’m always conscious of the time. If I did this writing thing full time I wouldn’t be, I would lose myself in the story and time would be meaningless. But I have a job to get to and I have to start getting ready by 6:45. So as the time nears I start typing faster because I’m not ready to end the scene yet.

Then it happens. 6:45 arrives and I have to stop, mid-scene, mid-thought, mid-inspiration. Aghhhh! I hate when that happens. Everything has to be put on hold until the next morning. I feel like I’ve been served a delicious meal of shrimp scampi only to have it ripped from my table mid-way through. Wait, I’m not done! This is one of the most frustrating things about being a “part-time” writer. The writing has to be squeezed into real life.

I wonder at times what it would be like to do this full-time and not have to worry about such things, not have to watch the clock while I write, not have to put my inspiration on hold and hope it’s still there waiting for me the next morning.

Tomorrow morning we’ll do it again and hope I can get through a full scene before the clock strikes 6:45 and the magic is lost.


About mikedellosso

Mike Dellosso is an author of wide-eyed suspense. He writes stories that not only entertain but enlighten.

Posted on February 25, 2010, in Writing Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. You know Mike, this is a good reminder to those of us with words anxious to make it to paper. I met another author years ago in college, and he loved his “regular” job as much as he loved to write. (I can’t remember what he did) Anyway, he blocked out an hour a day to write, and his goal was a minimum of a page a day. His logic, by the end of the year, I’ve got a book-length manuscript. He was faithful and published a book a year…all the while working a “regular” job. For him, it was the best of two worlds.

    Thanks for showing us the “real” world of writing!


  2. Great story, Kim. I shoot for 750-1000 words a day. My manuscripts run between 80,000 and 90,000 words. I don’t get to write every day and I don’t always meet that quota so a first draft takes me about four months.


  3. That would be so frustrating! (the having to stop while on a roll bit… and getting snow on your slippers).


    • I get snow IN my slippers. Makes for some cold feet. You’d think I would learn from my stupidity and just put sneakers or boots on but that would take, like, what? An extra minute?

      As I write this, I’m watching a squirrel gather dry leaves on the snow and in the screaming wind. He gathers, loses some, chases them along the snow, regathers, loses some, chases, gathers, loses. He’s almost as dumb as I am.


Silver Lining Sharings

True tales of inspiration

The Accidental Missionary

A regular guy tryin' to figure it out


All the things I say in my mind, just not out loud (yet)

Spooks, Spectres, and Spilled Milk // RAENA J ROOD

One mother's venture into terror and toddlers . . .

Ray Ferrer - Emotion on Canvas

** OFFICIAL Site of Artist Ray Ferrer **

Whispers in the Wind

Musings of a writer's life


wide-eyed fiction

Ambling & Rambling

Scattered thoughts and general musings

Parenting And Stuff

Not a "how to be a great parent" blog

Lynn Rush

New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author

Bibliophile's Retreat

Bookish Musings, Banter & More

The intersection of faith and fiction.

Life Worth Serving

Life is messy...Yet Worth Serving

A Little Bit of Everything

Slices of life from a mom, army wife, craft maker, writer, etc.

%d bloggers like this: