New Contest for Teens: Be a Publicist, Get Your Writing Looked At!
Okay, so I have this new novel out, Darkness Follows. It’s a psychological thriller, suspenseful, action-packed, even a little creepy. About a guy, Sam Travis, lives in Gettysburg, who awakens one night to discover he has a deep and dangerous connection to a long-dead Union soldier’s journal. He becomes obsessed with the thing and alienates himself from his wife and daughter, those who love him. The journal, the connection, eventually drives him to do something terrible. And the only thing that can save him is love.
It’s always been about love, hasn’t it? Love makes the world go ’round. Love is your reason for living, the thing that keeps you living.
So this got me thinking about spreading the word about the book and sharing the love. And that’s where you, teen writers, come in. I need your help. And in return, I’ll help you. You know, you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.
I need help spreading the word about Darkness Follows and I have a contest in mind. How would you like to partner with me and get this job done? Why you? Well, that’s a question I’m sure to get asked. Why entrust so much to a bunch of teens?
Here’s why I’m petitioning teens:
1) You’re honest, transparent. What you see is what you get. No pretense. And I like that. In fact, I love it.
2) You’re passionate. When you set your mind to something there’s no stopping you. You’re full throttle all the way.
3) You’re savvy and creative. You know the ins and outs of social networking and going viral, and you know how to get people’s attention.
4) You’re hungry . . . hungry to make a statement, to have your voice heard, to show the world you’re not just a bunch a lackies, but that you have fire in your bones and potential oozing from your pores.
Here’s how it will all go down. I’m asking you to be my publicists for a month. Starting July 1st, you’ll have one month to be as creative as you want to drive traffic to my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/mikedellosso) and get people to “Like” it. Make a video, do your own giveaway, get something going viral, whatever. Use whatever means you want (Facebook, blogs, Twitter, etc.). At the end of the month, teen writing mentor Caleb Breakey and I will determine who the most creative publicists were. There will be three prizes and judging will be based on creativity, not necessarily results.
Here’s the prizes:
3rd place: a copy of Darkness Follows and I’ll critique the first 5 pages of any manuscript you’ve been working on.
2nd place: a copy of Darkness Follows and I’ll critique the first chapter of your manuscript.
1st place: a copy of Darkness Follows, I’ll critique the first three chapters of your manuscript, and a personal email interview where you can ask me any questions you want about writing and publishing.
This is your chance to get a multi-published author’s eyes on your manuscript and get real, useful feedback, and . . . who knows?
Some suggestions before beginning.
1) Go to my website and read my story, read about Darkness Follows and my other books, and get a general feel for who I am (I’m a husband, father, teacher, and cancer survivor). Also, go to CalebBreakey.com and read my interview.
2) Plan ahead. You have almost two weeks to get your game plan in mind and ready to roll out.
3) Go as big as you can and be as creative as you want, but please keep it clean and respectful . . . and legal. We don’t want the Feds knocking down anyone’s door.
So are you in? I hope so. I need your talent. I need your passion. I need you in the driver’s seat. And this is a contest that could get you and your writing some real exposure.